The Higher Education Consultants Association (HECA) is a professional association for college admissions consultants. Our members come from a variety of backgrounds, but all share a dedication to providing professional and ethical assistance to the families they serve.
New consultants who have not yet met eligibility requirements to become a Member,but who demonstrate they are actively working toward meeting them and will do so in less than two years, may join HECA as a Provisional Member.
HECA PROVISIONAL MEMBERSHIP DUES ARE $450 ANNUALLY. *
TO BE ELIGIBLE TO JOIN HECA AS A PROVISIONAL MEMBER, YOU MUST:
- Complete a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited, not-for-profit college or university; AND
- Provide documentation of evidence of completion of the highest degree and, if appropriate, a copy of an approved certificate program (currently the only programs we accept are: UCLA, UC Irvine, UC Riverside, and UC Berkeley). Documents must uploaded in the application; AND
- Provide ONE professional reference who can attest to your professional work ethic and pathway. The recommendation MUST be provided by one of the following: An active HECA Member, High School Counselor, or a College Representative. A recommendation from one of the Certification Program Instructors WILL NOT be accepted. This recommendation must come from someone who you have worked with, has known you for more than one year, and can attest to your work with students and families; AND
- Demonstrate working toward meeting Member requirements:
- Enrollment in a college counseling certificate program with an intent to complete; OR
- Work as an apprentice with a consultant who holds membership in a professional educational organization.
TO MOVE FROM THE PROVISIONAL MEMBERSHIP CATEGORY TO MEMBER, ONE MUST COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING AS A PROVISIONAL MEMBER:
- Attend a (virtual) New Member Orientation.
- Attend at least one HECA Conference.
- Attend at least two HECA webinars during the first year of membership.
- Complete at least 20 college visits within the maximum two-year period. Virtual visits are accepted at a 3:1 ratio.
EXPECTATIONS OF A PROVISIONAL MEMBER:
- Abide by the HECA Standards and Ethics Statement.
- Network with Members and Provisional Members at conferences and through HECA’s online community.
- Show respect for and work cooperatively with other educational consultants, Members, and Provisional Members.
- Demonstrate professionalism at all times and positively promote the public’s awareness of educational consulting.
PROVISIONAL MEMBER DUES & MEMBERSHIP LIMIT:
- Provisional Member dues are $450, the same as Member dues, and are renewed annually. The HECA membership year runs from March 1 through February 28.
- A consultant may be a Provisional Member for a maximum of two years at which time either conversion to a Member must occur or HECA membership is discontinued.
PROVISIONAL MEMBER BENEFITS*
- Access to the Provisional Member online forum.
- Access to the HECA Listserv.
- Access to HECA-sponsored college tours for professional development and networking.
- Access to HECA professional development and webinars.
- A digital subscription to The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Registration for HECA conferences and workshops at the member rate. (New Member Professional Development Institute and seminars are an extra cost.)
- HECA newsletter and other professional resources.
- Invitations to attend HECA-sponsored events at affiliated gatherings such as the NACAC Annual Conference and regional ACAC conferences.
- Opportunity to network with current members at all HECA-sponsored events both nationally and locally.
- Inclusion in the HECA online Membership Directory with the designation of “Provisional Member.”
- Use of the HECA logo with the designation of “Provisional Member.”
- Participation in volunteer committees.
CONVERSION FROM PROVISIONAL MEMBER TO MEMBER:
- Once the requirements for Provisional Membership have been fulfilled, the Provisional Member must submit the Provisional-to-Member application form.
- If a Provisional Member does not meet the requirements for Member within two years, membership will be terminated.
If you’ve reviewed these Provisional Membership eligibility requirements and expectations and believe you’re eligible for HECA Provisional Membership, the final step in joining HECA is to apply for HECA Provisional Membership.
If you are interested in becoming an IEC but don’t have any experience yet, click HERE for ideas on how to get started.
HECA’s membership cycle is March 1 through February 28. Membership for new members joining HECA from March 1 through November 30 will expire on February 28 of the following year. Those who join between December 1 and February 28 will receive membership through the rest of the current membership cycle plus the next membership cycle (up to 15 months).