We look forward to receiving your application for membership in the Higher Education Consultants Association.
The application process is entirely online. Please note: The individual applying for membership must complete the application personally; the application may not be completed by another person on the behalf of the prospective member.
Annual HECA Membership Dues are $450. Our membership cycle is March 1 through February 28. Membership for new members joining HECA from March 1 through November 30 will expire February 28 of the following year. Those who join between December 1 and February 28 will receive membership through the rest of the current membership cycle plus the next membership cycle (up to 15 months). If you pay by check, your application will not be processed until the check is received, so allow additional time for processing.
Please take a moment to review the important information about the application process below before you start your application.
Before you begin your application:
- If you have not already done so, review our membership eligibilty requirements, our expectations for membership, and HECA’s Standards and Ethics Statement before you begin the application. You will be asked several questions about these items in your application.
- Gather information about your professional experience, education, and consulting practice.
- Write a brief (150 characters or less) description of your practice to include on your application.
- You will need your credit card to pay your membership dues at the end of the application. There is an option to pay by check, but your application will not be processed until the check has been received.
- The application must be completed and submitted online. We do not offer paper applications.
- Your application is not considered complete until you:
- Provide documentation of evidence of completion of highest degree and, if appropriate, a copy of an approved certificate program (UCLA, UC Irvine, UC Riverside and UC Berkeley).A SCANNED COPY OR SCREEN SHOT OF the highest degree you earned must be sent to [email protected]. Only degree-granting institution copies/scans/screenshots will be considered, no certificates or professional development units. It is the responsibility of the applicant to send a screenshot or a scanned copy. Transcripts cannot be sent to the Membership Chair directly from the degree-granting institution. Documents must be uploaded with the application; AND
- Provide ONE professional reference that can attest to your professional work ethic and pathway (The recommendation MUST be provided by one of the following: An active HECA Member, High School Counselor, or a College Representative. A recommendation from one of the Certification Program Instructors WILL NOT be accepted. This recommendation must come from someone who you have worked with, has known you for more than one year, and can attest to your work with students and families.)
Membership Dues and the Membership Approval Process:
- Membership dues are $450 annually. You will be asked to pay your dues for the coming membership year online by credit card when you submit your application. If you are not accepted for membership, this amount will be refunded.
- You may apply for membership at any time during the year, but your membership dues will only cover the current membership year. Our membership year runs from March 1 to February 28/29.
- After your application is received, it will take approximately 21 business days for our membership committee to review and approve your membership. Our membership chairperson will email you when a decision on your application has been made. Your application will not be reviewed until your recommendation letter, scanned educational documents, payment, and all other information has been received.
- If your application is not complete within 60 days, including receipt of your letter of recommendation, your application will be denied.
- If you have questions, email HECA’s membership chair at [email protected].